01. Is Your Brand Name Unique?
Uniqueness is an important brand name quality that you need to consider seriously in the brand naming process. In order to stand out from the competition, a unique brand name is a must.
So what makes a unique brand?
- Your brand name needs to be distinctive
- Make sure your brand name does not include generic words or partial generic words
- Make sure your brand name is keyword free
- Most of the handpicked brand names are unique
- Do not copy other successful brand names in your field
.com can make your brand name unique as it is the king of the domain extensions. .com is the most used domain extension in the world, in percentage it is 47%. If you get a .com domain name it makes you the only legal owner of your brand name. So to get the most out of your brand name, it is very important to get the best domain extension for your startup.
Google, Yahoo, Amazon are some of the best unique brand names in the world that also owns the .com domain name. So make sure to select a unique brand name for your startup.
02. Is Your Brand Name Easy To Memorize And Pronounce?
This is an important brand name quality. Memorability and pronouncing ability of a brand name goes hand in hand; depends on each other. When a brand name is easy to pronounce, it makes the brand name more memorable.
You can get the memorization ability of your brand name by calculating the phonological loop value of your brand name. Brand names like Yahoo, e-bay, Google have higher phonological loop values.
What makes a brand name memorable?
- Unique brand names are memorable
- If your brand name has a strong meaning (positive), it is more memorable
- Brand names with numbers and special characters makes your customer difficult to memorize your brand name.
- If you follow the same naming trend as your competitors, it will make your brand name one of the common brand names in the industry and that will make your brand name less memorable.
- Short brand names have high memorable value
Pronunciation ability can also be measured with vocabularyscore.com. According to the results you can get an idea about the state of the pronunciation ability of your brand name.
If you got a result between 10 to 8 your brand name has a higher pronunciation ability and can be recommended as a super brand name.
If you get a result between 8 to 6 your brand name has a normal pronunciation ability and can be recommended as a brand name.
If you get a score below 6 you better move for a better brand name.
Make sure your brand name has a high memorization value in order to make a strong brand name.
How to get a brand name that is easy to pronounce?
- If your brand name is easy to read loud it is a pronounceable brand name.
- If a brand name rolls off the tongue without any difficulty it is a pronounceable brand name.
- Short brand names are easy to pronounce
- Simple brand names are easy to pronounce
- Trying your brand name with a sample audience is a good way to decide whether a brand name is easy to pronounce or not.
Pronunciation ability of your brand name is so important…
03. Is Your Brand Name Free From Generic Words?
Make sure you avoid generic words and partial generic words in your brand name. There are many brand names that can be found in one industry that included generic words. So if you select a generic word as your brand name that would only make you just one brand name in the industry. With a generic word in your brand name, you cannot stand out from the competition.
Most of the companies have relaunched their Generic brand names on the Branded brand name after they understood the impact of generic words in their brand name. Here are some companies who relaunched to remove their generic names,
How to avoid generic words in your brand name?
- Do not try to describe what you do(the product or the service) through your brand name.
- Avoiding partial generic words in your brand name. (Assume you are going to start a furniture business and you name it as Furni lover etc)
- Unique brand names are always perfect.
Know more about the importance of avoiding generic words in your brand name…
04. Have You Selected A Brand That Used Before?
Some entrepreneurs choose band names that were used before. Our brand name consultants highly refuse this method as a brand naming approach. Because,
- Maybe the brand name could’ve been used for illegal businesses. If the brand name used for an illegal product or service, you cannot build your own brand identity even your business is totally different
- Your brand message fails to reach your target audience, as the brand name stood before for a different service or product.
- It confuses the customer
Ex: If the brand name abc.com used to sell soap earlier and has left its brand name because of some issues and a new user buys the same brand name after many years to sell computers.
- Some owners send millions of spam emails to sell products/services and give up the Brands.
- Most scam product sellers register brands and give up them immediately.
How to know that you selected a brand name with a history?
- You can search your domain name on archive.org and see whether a website for your brand name used before or not
- Or you can search your domain name on the internet to find out whether there is a website with your brand name
- It is advisable to avoid selecting brand names that have been registered before
05. Is Your Brand Name Single Worded?
If your brand name exceeds one word it becomes less attractive and hard to memorize. The ideal character count of a brandable brand name is 4 to 6. If you exceed the character limit, it makes the customer hard to memorize. For example,
See, brand names with ideal character count are perfect.
Things to consider when selecting a short brand name
- Not longer than 6 characters
- Not shorter than 4 characters
- When selecting a short brand name, consider the ideal character count as 4 to 6.
06. Does Your Brand Name Include Keywords?
Keyword or descriptive word is known as a significant word from a title or document used especially as an index to content. For example, if you have a Furniture business and you name it as Furniture, The name itself suggests the product you sell.
Including keywords in your brand name makes your brand name less attractive and generic. When a brand name expresses the core of your business, it lessens the excitement a brand name should have. Google does to rank the brand names with keywords. So make sure to not to include keywords in your brand name.
How to avoid keywords in your brand name?
- Avoid dictionary words in your brand name
- The words you select as your brand name should not describe your business
- Choose unique brand name that you can present your business core in a creative way
- If your brand name is too long and includes many keywords, you can create your brand name with the first letters of that brand name. But consider this option at last.
07. Does Your Brand Resemble A Successful Brand Name In Your Industry?
As there is less awareness on the importance of the brand naming process, some entrepreneurs imitate successful and popular brand names in the industry as their brand name.
As all the businesses have their own mission, and the brand name is one of the factors to drive it to the customers, imitating an existing brand name logically cannot be approved. So it is advisable to create your own brand name because you are the one who knows your brand story the best than anyone else.
For example, twitter, twittro
Consider your competitor when creating your brand name…
- Doing a competitor analysis is a good way to get a better understanding on how to name your business
- Analyze the best brand names in your industry and create a better brand name which is different from the existing brands
- Do not imitate the existing brand names it only makes your brand name less attractive
- Unique brand names help you to stand out from the competition
08. Does Your Brand Name Consist Of Numbers Or Special Characters?
There are many brand names in the market, that include numbers and special characters. A number or special character in a brand name can have a nice message behind them. But, the pronunciation and memorization ability of these brand names are lesser. When converting these brand names into written form there can be misspelling problems.
If you are targeting Korean or Chinese market for your product or service, this method can be accepted as they believe in numbers. Unless including numbers and special characters makes your brand name less attractive.
Knowing well about the importance of avoiding numbers and special characters in your brand name will help you to get the maximum out of your brand name.
Important factors to consider if your brand name include numbers or special characters
- Brand names with numbers and special characters are less memorable
- There can be problems in converting these brand names into written form
- If your brand name included special characters such as @, %, $ there can be mispronunciation issues.
09. Is Your Brand Name Robots Familiar?
We use the voice assistant service more than ever in our day to day lifestyle. Making your brand name easier to be grabbed for the voice assistants is a needy. If your brand name is hard to be grabbed by the voice assistants, it explains that your brand name is also hard to pronounce for the humans. So do not miss this brand name quality in your brand name.
Also, voice searches using the virtual assistants such as Siri, Cortana, Google Assistant, Alexa have surprisingly increased in the past decade and are expected to increase in a huge percentage in the next decade. In a world where almost 90% of searchers are using voice searches, decide where you want to stand.
How to get a brand name that is robots familiar?
- If a robot can grab your brand name correctly and without a delay, any human can speak your brand name
- You can check your brand name with several voice assistants such as Siri, Cortana and Google Assistant.
- If the voice assistants fail to grab your brand name at once, it means there will be some problems when human pronounce it too
Make sure your brand name is robots friendly…
10. Does Your Brand Name Generate Negative Meanings In Other Languages?
When creating a brand name, you need to consider the global application of your brand name too. Your brand name may have a nice meaning in your language, but does it in other languages too?
For example, 7up is a soda company in the USA and when they thought of transiting their brand 7up to China they faced a huge difficulty because in Shanghai 7up means “death through drinking.”
The meaning holds a large impact on the brand name. So consider the universal meaning of your brand name when selecting a brand name for your business.
How to avoid brand names with negative connotations?
- When you select a brand name, make sure it does not make any negative meaning in any language
- This is an important brand name quality when you introduce your business for the other countries.
- You can refer to our brand name idea evaluation tool or you can search on the internet search to avoid this issue in your brand name.
Consider These 5 Elements Of A Good Brand Name
To achieve the sense of completion of a branding process, you need to consider these 5 elements of a good brand name. Make sure to develop these factors of your brand name when you settle with a brandable brand name.
- Brand position- brand position is how a customer identifies your brand name from your competitors and which position you hold in your customers mind.
- Brand promise- this is also an important element of a brand name. With a brand name you present a set of values to the customers; a set of promises. You need to confirm your brand promise every single time a customer deals with your brand. Brand promise creates loyal customers for a business.
- Brand personality- brand personality is a human characteristic and every brand name has a brand personality. You need to understand your business and through the brand name you can express the brand personality.
- Brand story- there is a story to every business to tell their customers and it is known as the brand story. The brand story adds an extra value to the brand name.
- Brand associations- the other features which represent the business associated with the brand name such as logo, slogan, the font type, the colors etc.
The perfections of a brand name will always come with the qualities it consists of. A brand name that consists of all these brand name qualities can be named as super brand names. Brinso brand name idea evaluation tool is considering all these brand name qualities plus the phonological loop to measure how good or bad your brand name is.
Some Examples For Brandable Brand Names
We have discussed the brand name qualities in detail and we hope you now have the knowledge to create or identify a brandable brand name. But for your convenience we list some brandable brand names with popular categories as follows. All these brand names are listed and recommended by our brand name specialists.
Existing Brandable Brand Names In The Apparel Industry
Recommended Brand Names For The Apparel Category
These brand name samples are recommended by our brand name specialists for any business related to the apparel industry. All these brand names are brandable and we have listed more brand names for apparel industry.
Existing Brandable Brand Names In The Fashion Industry
Recommended Brandable Brand Names For The Fashion Industry
These are some of the brandable brand names in the Fashion industry and we have listed more fashion brand names that include all the brand name qualities.
Existing Brandable Brand Names In The Food Category
Recommended Unique Brand Names For The Food And Beverage Category
These listed brand names are unique and brandable. This is just a sample of our food category brand name collection and you can check out more brandable brand names in the food category.
Existing Brandable Brand Names In The IT Industry
Recommended Brandable Brand Names For The IT Industry
Above listed four brand names include all the 10 brand name qualities and are available to be purchased. There are more IT brand names we have listed for your comfort.
Existing Brandable Brand Names In The E Commerce Industry
Recommended Brandable Brand Names For E Commerce Companies
These below listed brand names are unique and perfect for e commerce companies. Check out more e-commerce brand names if you are interested in them.
Existing Brandable Brand Names In The Sports Industry
Recommended Brandable Brand Names For Sports Companies
These brand name samples are unique and brandable. If you need to explore more brandable brand names for sports companies, we have a collection.