What Domain Extension Should I Use?
With the current innovations of the market, you cannot be a successful business owner without an online platform for your business. In a way, we all are customers and we all are experiencing a greater tendency to engage online to search for a particular business, what they have to sell, what they have to tell about their quality of the products, what are the offers or what the reviews of their existing customers are.
With an online platform, you can reach more customers and get an active engagement with your business. So you should definitely maintain a website for your business and for that you need to select the Best Domain Extension for your Startup!!!
How Many Domain Extensions Are There?
Well the search results say, there are more than 1500 domain extensions that you can use for your domain name. So selecting the befitting domain extension seems to be hard work. But with our help, you are going to have good knowledge about what your domain extension should be.
Although there are more than a thousand domain extensions, less than 20 of them have been identified by the people including top-level domain extensions.
What Are the Top Level Domain Extensions?
Simply put, Top-level domains or TLDs are the part that comes after the dot of a particular domain name.for example, in the domain name www.brinso.com the TLD is .com. Originally five domain extensions were introduced by the ICANN they are, .com, .net, .org, .edu and .gov.
Here is some information about each of these top domain extensions.
This is the most popular domain extension on the internet and nearly half of the businesses using this domain extension for their domain name. It is said more than 100 million businesses have registered with .com domain extension for their websites. This domain extension is popular for business websites.
For example -: google.com, amazon.com, apple.com
This domain extension introduced on the 1st of January 1985 .net is also one of the most used and popular domain extensions with a long history. This domain extension can be used for networking websites such as the website of networking companies, internet service providers, hosting websites, etc.
.org is a shortened form of organization. This was also introduced on the 1st of January 1985. Highly used by non-profitable organizations all over the world. According to the findings, more than 10 million domain names of organizations have registered with this domain extension.
But here are some organizations that registered with the .com domain extension.
Also, some companies use the .org domain extension for their community service part while using the .com domain for their main business.
Ex: google.com and google.org
This domain extension is the shortened form of Education. .Edu was also introduced on the 1st of January 1985. Although you think this domain extension can be used for any education domain name, you are wrong. This domain extension is limited to American education centers. Because of that, there are many educational websites on the internet registered with the .com extension.
.gov stood for the government. But this cannot be used for any governmental agency from any country but, American federal governmental agencies.
Why Is .com Popular?
Although many domain extensions have been introduced to websites, why is everyone fighting to get .com domain extensions for their businesses or websites?
This is why…
Research shows the .com has been recognized by many customers as trustworthy than other domain extensions. For example, word.com vs word.net what will you choose between these domain names? It’s word.com. Because the domain names with .com extensions are more attractive and trustworthy.
There should be some reasons for nearly half of the websites on the internet to have the .com domain extension for their website. One of these reasons is it gives your website a unique appearance or in other words, protection. Assume that you start a website as Chair.com and there is a website on the internet in the same brand name but with a different domain extension as Chairs.net. The legal ownership of the brand name becomes yours with the .com extension. So it gives protection and uniqueness to your business.
Domain names with .com can easily memorize than other domain extensions. Researchers have found that people like to remember domain names with .com domain extension over other Top Level Domain Extensions.
04. Customer Recognition
Do you know? Most people assume that a particular domain name ends up with a .com domain extension when they cannot remember or not sure the domain name. So customers determine your domain name should end up with .com domain extension because they trust .com extension over other extensions.
05. Global Reach
Unless some other domain extensions, the.com can be used for any type of business. If you start a website with your country’s code, it becomes a website available only in the country, or local website. But with.com extension you can get global customers to reach your website and get higher traffic!!!
06. Easy With SEO
Once you have created a website, it is a challenge to rank your website well. The .com is the domain extension that works best with the Search Engine Optimization(SEO). With a .com domain extension you have a better chance to rank well.
Pros And Cons Of TLDs
|.COM||Higher recognition and trustworthiness from the customers.||Less Availability and higher prices|
|.Net||Available for low prices||Only a limited group can benefit and less popularity with less trustworthiness|
|.Org||Higher availability, trusted by the customers all over the world and cheaper than .com extension||In comparison to .com lesser user recognition and limited to non-profitable organizations|
There are more domain extensions for domain names such as, .Pro, .Biz, .Name, .online, .me, .mobi, .asia, .cat, .jobs, .fit, .life, .tech, .design, .moda, .coach and many more to select the perfect domain extension according to your website type.
What Is The Best Domain Extension For My Business?
As mentioned earlier, there are over 1500 domain extensions available for startups and you have an idea why you should get a .com domain extension for your business. But if you have an interest to find out what are the other domain extensions related to your industry, we have listed some of the industries below.
- Apparel Industry Businesses- .clothing, .design, .global
- IT Industry Businesses- .tech, .technology, .ai, .xyz, .host, .cloud, .app, .software, .io, .dev, .network, .solutions, .computer
- Fashion Industries Businesses- .fashion, .clothing
- Beauty Industry Business- .salon, .beauty
- Food and Beverage Business- .bar, .beer, .cafe, .catering, .coffee, .cooking, .eat, .farm, .kitchen, .menu, .pizza, .recipes, .pub, .rest, .restaurant, .wine, .swiss
- Sports Industry Business- .bike, .club, .futbol, .golf, .run, .ski, .tennis, .yoga
- Travel Industry Business- .travel, .vacations, .tours, .voyage, .holiday, .flights, .guide, .city, .taxi, .cab
- E-commerce Business- .store, .supply, .shop, .boutique, .gifts
- Education Businesses- .academy, .coach, .collage, .degree, .education, .institute, .MBA, .report, .school, .science, .support, .training
- Agriculture Business- .farm, .ag, .garden
- Social Businesses- .social, .media, .biz
- Pet Industry Businesses- .pet, .dog, .supplies, .services, .care, .vet, .fish
- Hotel And Restaurant- .restaurant, .bar, .cafe, .menu, .rest, .menu, .vacation, .villas, .catering, .cooking, .beer, .xyz
- Photography Industry Business- .photography, .photos, .photo, .gallery, .pictures, .video, .fashion, .studio, .design
- Science And Medicine Industry Business- .science, .hospital, .health, ..healthcare, .clinic
- Fitness Industry – .fitness, .care, .fit, .sport, .yoga.
- Financial industry businesses- .finance, .money, .cash, .market, .capital
Exact Match Domain(EMD)?
When you have a domain name that is exactly similar to your brand name you get an exact match domain. As you read about domain extensions for your website, it is advisable to know some facts related to your domain name too. Getting an exact match domain with .com domain extension is somewhat harder as the less availability. So as soon as you select a brand name it is better to check the availability of the domain name.
If it is registered you will need to change the domain name by adding, removing some letters or words. Important: do not add numbers or hyphens in order to change the domain name, and try best to limit the domain name for one word. Ex; Googlego.com. Twitter could not get the exact match domain for the first place as it was registered before them. Initially, their domain name was twittr.com But later with a huge amount of money they bought the exact match domain twitter.com. But why do they spend huge money to get the EMD even though they had twittr.com as their domain name?
With the exact match domain, users do not face any confusion in finding your website. So it is important to have an exact match domain for your website. Even if you had to go with some other domain name originally, with the profit you make you can buy it as Twitter did!!!
Things To Consider When Choosing A Domain Name
01. Avoid hyphens in your domain name– including hyphens in the domain name will confuse your customers so it is better to avoid hyphens in the domain name.
02. Select a short domain name– short domain names are memorable and that’s an advantage for your business.
03. Do not copy other brand names as your domain name– you can’t copy or use related words of someone else’s brand name for your domain name. These types of actions are illegal and can be punished by the google.
04. Do not use keywords in your domain name– If you use keywords in the domain name it will confuse the customer.
05. Do not buy a domain name with a history– There is a possibility that those domain names had been used for illegal activities in the past. So if you select a domain name that has a history you need to check its history records thoroughly.
What Are The Domain Extensions You Should Avoid?
There are some domain extensions that have a bad reputation. you must avoid them or there is a high possibility of recognizing your website as scammed or unauthorized. They are, .gq, .cf, .tk, .date, .top, .link, .work and .men.
Price Range Of TLDs
.COM -> Usually a startup name with .com is always above $300 and it goes up even to $1800000.
.NET->Startup name with .net will nearly cost above $500.
.ORG ->Basically this domain extension is not reselling by brand name resellers so the usual price of .org domain extension brand name will be between $2 to $20 or more
.EDU->Basically this domain extension is not reselling by brand name resellers so the usual price of .edu domain extension brand name will be between $2 to $20 or more
.Com is also known for its higher prices. A domain name with a .com extension could cost from $300 to $1800000 or more. But compared to the benefits you can experience with owning the .com domain extension, the price is less effective.
Although the .com domain extension is considerably higher in price than many other domain extensions, you must have confirmed that it is worthy to go with the .com extension. Especially when you are starting a business and it is an ultimate trend to use .com for your domain name.because,
- Your customers assume the domain name should end up with .com.
- Half of the websites on the internet use .com.
- .com domain names are trustworthy and memorable compared to the other TLDs.
- Can get a higher customer attack on your website.
- .com is the dominant TLD on the internet.