What Makes A Unique Brand Name?
The brand name is your identity. A brand name can make or break your business so you cannot pick whatever you come across as your brand name. A brand name plays a significant role in your business and it affects almost all the parts of your business plan. Your brand name conveys your business ethics, values and goals. Choosing a unique brand name is a process that you need to craft thoughtfully.
Important: Owning .com domain extension is the most important factor in recognizing whether your brand name is a unique one or not.
This article will guide you to choose a unique brand name. Well, let’s get started!!!
Advantages Of A Unique Brand Name
Know the advantages of getting a unique brand name for your startup…
1. Unique Words Set Your Brand Name Apart
A unique brand name helps you to make your own identity in your industry. It helps you to stand apart from the competition. Instagram, VISA, Google are some of the examples for unique brand names and they are highlighted in their industries. Brand your business with a unique word.
2. Allows You To Develop A Unique Brand Identity
Unlike in a common brand name, unique brand names allow you to set a distinctive brand identity. You can develop a unique and meaningful brand story for your brand name which sticks to the customers mind.
3. Easy To Attract Customers
Customers prefer to engage with unique brand names, as they are more memorable and innovative. When customers are attracted to a brand name they like to recommend your brand name for their friends and family. In that way, you can freely promote your brand too.
4. Does Not Block Your Future Business Possibilities
You can easily move forward with the changes in your business strategies when you have a unique brand name. Brand names like Yummy Cookies or Jane’s Bakery limit the ability to expand their marketing and geographical capacity in the future. If you get a unique brand name this is another advantage.
5. Easy To Gain The Domain Name
When you move with a unique brand name, you can easily get a domain name, as you stand apart from many other same descriptive brands. Most of the businesses like to get .com domain for their brand name. The rebranding possibility of a unique brand name is less in the case of taking a domain name.
6. Easy To Memorize
This is also a very important advantage. With a unique brand name, you can make your brand name easier to memorize for the customers. Memorization is a very important factor for a brand name.
Can.Com Make My Brand Name Unique?
Yes!!! In a way owning .com extension makes your brand name totally unique and totally safe from your competitors. .com is the most popular domain extension for businesses. Your brand name can be recognized as a unique one when you have the .com ownership. Did you know Google did not register with .com initially and later they had to pay millions of dollars to own the .com domain extension for the brand name? To be unique with your brand name choosing the best domain extension for your startup is very important.
Why Is It Important To Have A .Com Domain For Your Brand Name?
There are many domain extensions such as .net, .org, .co, .us, .info, .edu and here is why you need to take .com for your brand.
- Owning .com domain name for your business makes you the legal owner of your domain name. Your brand name cannot be pirated. Only .com domain extension comes with that extra facility.
- ICANN introduced .com for businesses. With .com domain name users recognize you as a business website.
- 47% of website trust .com domain extension.
- Owning .com raises the credibility of your brand name.
- Most of the internet users assume that a URL ends with .com.
- With .com domain name search engines recognize you as a business and your online customers easily reach you through the internet.
- Most of the users do not know the newly introduced TLDs, such as .online, .agency, .biz.
What If The .Com Domain Name Isn’t Available?
As mentioned earlier, there are millions of websites using .com domain names, including non-profit businesses. So there is a pretty chance your domain name is already taken. So what should you do exactly if your domain name is not available? You may think you should change your brand name. Not in such a hurry…here are a few things you can try before you give up your brand name or .com domain name.
- Try changing the order of the characters in your brand name. For example, Brinso.com is not available, try Brisno.com. In a way this is risky. If there is another business with a domain name exactly the same as your brand name, you can lose most of your traffic to that domain name. So be careful about that.
- The next way is to try adding some characters to your domain name and see if it is available. For example, Brinsoo.com.
- If your brand name is longer than two words, create your domain name with the first letters of each word. Assume your brand name is Good Travel Company, set your domain name as GTC.com.
- And if your brand name is longer than one word, try changing word order and see whether the .com domain name is available. For example, Good Travel, change this to Travelgood.com.
Well Known Businesses That Became Successful In The Second Attempt With A Unique Brand Name
Google is the most visited website in the world, yet they made a mistake in the beginning by choosing the wrong brand name. Their original brand name was Backrub and they realized the brand name is weak and cannot perform the targets of the business as planned. Then they rebranded the business as Google and we all know what they have become now!!!
Did you know Brad’s Drink was the original name of Pepsi? Brad’s drink is a descriptive brand name and it does not make the company stand out in the market, from the other players. With the use of the Pepsi brand name for their business, it made a revolution in the market.
The famous web service provider Yahoo was originally called Jerry and David’s Guide to the World Wide Web. And later on, they moved to a better and unique brand name Yahoo, an acronym for Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle.
How Brinso Evaluates Uniqueness Of A Brand Name?
We consider the ownership of .com domain extension, as a crucial fact in recognizing a brand name as a unique brand name.
To be unique with your brand name choosing the best domain extension for your startup is very important.
Almost all the popular companies use .com extensions with their brand name; they are unique among others.
You can check the .com domain availability with our brand name evaluation tool.
How To Create A Unique Brand Name?
You can try the following ways to create a unique brand name. Unique brand names are inspired by creativity. And with a unique brand name you can tell a big story. Try these word creating patterns keeping in mind your brand story.
- Made up words- take a rare and original word and make a small change in the word. For example, Googol became Google.
- Word combination- take two words that sums up your brand story and combine them in a creative way to one unique word. For example, Instagram is made from combining instant camera and telegram.
- Adding suffixes and prefixes- this is also a good way to create a unique word; adding suffixes or prefixes to the original word. For example, spot + fy became Spotify.
Removing characters – removing characters from the original word and creating a new word is the next pattern. For example, Flicker – Flickr.