How to choose the best Brand name
There are many methods to choose a brand name but choosing the best method and choosing the best brand name is challenging. Even there are many methods you should have knowledge about which method suits you and from which method you can get the best results.
- Use a Branded /Unique word
- Taking a generic word or word combination
- Use the business owner's name
- Describe your product or service
We thought of reviewing all of these brand naming methods so that you will get an idea which method you can use to select your brand name.
01. Use a unique brand name
Almost every popular brand is using a unique brand name.
Just remember all popular brands that you know, about 90% of popular brands or professional startups are using a unique word made by them.
You must consider the following,
- You must have .com domain ownership of your brand if you are planning to run a commercial business. If the intention of your business is different you can use the following domain extensions.
- We recommend having both .com and .org for non-profit organizations.
- We recommended having .edu if it is related to education
- We recommended using the region domain extension if you are targeting a specific region.
- According to US law, the owner of the Brand Name will be the legal copyright owner of the .com domain and vise Versa.
Brand name must have a clear Brand history-You always wants to make sure that your brand name has a clean brand history because choosing a brand name that has a history can impact your business in the future in many ways. Either it's in a positive way or a negative way.
Still, if you haven’t chosen your Brand name, we recommend checking the Brinso Brand Name Marketplace.
We highly recommend this method because this is the ideal method to get a brandable brand name.
02. Taking a generic word or word combination
In this section, we talk about Brand name types.
- Use a Single generic word.
We recommend this brand naming method if you have a high budget to spend on your brand name.
Take the word “Pineapple” as an example. If you choose this as your brand name you have to spend a high budget to come over the pineapple fruit to promote your brand.
You must be careful about the meaning of the generic word when you are using it. You have to make sure not to use it irrelevantly.
- You must use the .com domain.( but the cost will be very high – and it is a waste of money)
Alternatives like below are not recommended.
Users always believe .com is the official website, they hesitate to buy/engage when they see something different than .com.
Some generic brand owners have rebranded their brand names.
You can find these kinds of brand names from
- instantdomainsearch, generators.
Generic word + Brand name
Ex – Cisco labs, SEO, Dunkin’ Donuts, Blue Ribbon Sports
* Not recommended,
Ex: Apple inc – Apple.com
- SEOmoz to Moz
- thefacebook – facebook
- Quantum Computer Services– AOL
- Starbucks Coffee, Tea and Spice and II Giornale Coffee Company-Starbucks
You can find these kinds of brand names from
- namemesh ,generators.
03. Use the business owner's name
This branding method recommends only very famous persons, celebrities, politicians, actors, singers, writers, etc.
This is a good method if you want to improve your personal brand
But it is a negative impact on business expansion
It’s OK to use your name as your brand name if you have built a very strong personal brand. Don’t try to do this if you only have a few thousands of friends or fans of your social profile. Only use your name as the brand name if you are a world-famous person.
It was very popular before the internet era.
Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls-Royce these brand names became very familiar for us because in those days there were very few popular brand names.
Almost no startup, company in this digital era, especially not at this 2018,2019
Now it’s hard to get registration and licensing.
04. Explain your product
We strictly do not recommend this method.
* Don’t do it,
It attracts fewer users as these kinds of names are less trustworthy. Will you buy stuff from we-sell-stuff.com?
Search engines discriminate for exact match / partial match domains in this time, because Google defines them as spams.
Learn more about SEO disadvantages for a Brand name with keywords from the video provided.
But for some industries, it is completely ok to express what you do.
Ex- Airlines – Malaysian Airlines, Fly Emirates
You can find these kinds of brand names from,
- impossibility ,generators.
05. Analyze the best and worst brand name examples belong to your industry choose a name
This is another method you can use to choose a brand name for you.We do recommend this because it is a very successful way to choose the most suitable brand name for you.
First, check all the best brand names in your business industry and also check the worst brand names that are flopped or not established. Understand their naming methods. Understand why those popular brands had no issues with marketing and why didn’t the other be able to do.
Then you can have a proper idea on how to choose your brand name based on the technique that the popular brands used when naming their business
With all these brand naming methods considering the suitable domain extension also more important because of the ranking factor and identity. Learn how to choose the domain extension for the brand name to find out what is the most suitable domain extension to you.