Brand name has got an important role in making your brand popular among thousands of competitors today. Choosing a brand name seems to be a very easy process but when you go through it you will understand its something beyond what we see from outside.
Learning more about the importance of a brand name will help you to avoid mistakes too. Let’s look into the mistakes that you may do and how to avoid those kinds of mistakes.
Don’t let the space for a rebranding that wastes a lot of time and the time you spent in building the business at the beginning. Make it perfect at once!
01. Taking naming as simple
As the competition is high nowadays you need to get a spiritful super brand name if you want to survive in the field of e-market.
Brand name is an investment you do for your business. You have to be more careful with naming. Naming your startup/business is not as simple as most of you think. Many popular companies rebranded their name and spent millions of dollars to get a brandable brand name with all the brand name qualities.
How to avoid it?
Before naming your business/startup learn everything about it. Consider each and every point. Do not take naming as simple. If you choose the wrong one it will affect the future of your company. Look into the best brand name examples in the world and get an idea.
Use a brand name evaluation tool to check your brand name idea once you came up with it.
Do not register or purchase without checking it via a tool to identify the characteristics within the name.
Always keep in mind not to give space to a rebranding.Brinso free tool of evaluation is the best way to solve that problem.
02. Trying to explain your business using the Brand Name
Here it simply meant the use of keywords.
It is clearly stated in the super brand name qualities too, that the use of keywords makes a brand search engine unhealthy.
Including keywords in your brand name will make a big negative effect on your SEO process and it is one of the biggest mistakes you make. It is the biggest myth which we still believe. We invite you to research more about the effect of exact match domains for your SEO and business. Almost every big brand owner has rebranded their exact match domains to Branded Names.
How to avoid it?
- Always think of something new and unique. Do not ever try to explain your business by its Name. You can use your logo or slogan to hint about your business.
- Avoid using keywords to get rid of the rejections of Search Engines,
- Look into the world’s biggest SEO company. Previously they were known as SEOmoz but then they relaunched to MOZ. It’s because they understood the disadvantages of using a keyword in their Brand Name.
03. Mismatching of the Brand Name and Domain Name
Almost everyone is trying to go for a different domain Name if the chosen Brand name is not available. That is not something that should happen.
Ex- Think your company name is Marvel technologies. If you choose your brand name as Themarvel.com is not something sensible.
How to avoid?
- Do not get a domain name that will mismatch for your brand name.
- If your brand name is already taken go for another brand name without any hesitation as there are plenty of many.
04. Use Of A Brand Name Without Having .com Ownership
Another point you make a mistake is with the domain extension. The important point you should know is only the name which is having a .com extension can be distinguished as brand names. So without .com your brand name will lose its value and trust.
Always remember to use the .com as your TLD because it is the only one that makes you the one and only owner of the brand name you select.
Some may think that as they are targeting a small market with a certain area or a country this is not relevant. But we must state here that, do not do that mistake by thinking less and underestimating your capabilities.
How to avoid it?
Don’t try to use a common word or word combinations for your brand name. Try to think out of the box.
Always try to find a unique Brand name idea. What you need to be unique is having a .com extension. If you own the .com extension it means that you are unique out of others.
Look into the best companies in the world, almost everyone uses the .com domain extension and they seem to be really unique with their name.
Ex :- Google.com
Unique name(no common words) with .com ( unique domain extension) always make a perfect Brand Name.
Brinso has the Cheapest and highest vocabulary score brand names that are with a perfectly matching meaning with the category.
Using domain extension can be changed under the below-listed points.
- If you are starting up a non-profit organization you can use .org
- If you are starting up something related to education you can use .edu
- If you are starting up something targeting a specific region you can use the region domain extension. (But if you have an idea to expand your business in the future go for .com)
Ex-: United Kingdom-.uk, The United States -.us
Consider the above facts it will help you to avoid the mistake which you will do while choosing a domain extension and choose the best domain extension for your startup.
- Some people do buy multiple domains with other extensions for the same name, by not ending with their .com. The aim of this is to avoid the competitors but if you own the .com extension there is no much need of doing this.
05. Use a brand Name with a History
Selecting a brand name with a History will impact your business in many ways and it will be a mistake you can not correct.
Think your company is in the field of Advertising but the brand name you choose used for a soap company earlier. Then definitely you have to make an extra effort and spend more to repromote your brand or else think the specific brand name is named as spam earlier then again you have to rebuild the trust among users.
How to avoid it?
- Always try to choose a brand name with a clear history. There are many websites available to check the history of a brand name. So better consider more about it so that you will not make that mistake.
You can get the use of this site namely tessera.bz to check the availability of the brand names.
06. Choosing a Brand Name as similar to another popular Brand
Always try to come up with a unique name.
Many users think that imitating something similar to another popular brand will bring your business an advantage. According to surveys users don’t trust this kind of brand name. The search engine always tries to correct these kinds of words. And finally, you will have to end up with no search traffic.
How to avoid it?
It will be a big mistake if your brand name has been already registered by somebody else and also in the future when you are going to register your business it will affect in a negative way.
Before you purchase or register, search your new brand name (or Brand name idea) using the Google search engine. Immediately change it if google shows a very similar brand name as a suggestion.
You can Search Google images to get an idea about the existing brand name and logos.
Use knowem.com to check for the use of your brand, product, personal name or username instantly.
Whois is also a site that can be used to find if there is an owner already.
07. Using Special Characters
Some company owners think using special characters or numbers will make your brand unique and different but that is not a way of making the uniqueness. That is a mistake we should avoid when branding. But it will end making the searcher confused and it will be hard for the user to find out your name and grab it in the first place.
In the competitive world today the customers never give much effort to type or remember your name.
The misspellings will direct your customers to another separate site and you will make a huge loss in the search traffics.
How to avoid it?
- Use only English letters for your brand name.
- Use neither special characters nor numbers to your brand unless you are targeting the Chinese, Japanese or Koren markets.
08. Express a negative meaning
Always think about the future of your company and make sure the brand name will not affect it. When you are choosing a brand try to check if there is any negative meaning in it because it may lead to a huge problem in the future when you expand your business.
This matter not only comes with the English language. That means you should check carefully that any country’s language has a negative connotation for your brand name.
*The best example is the problem faced by the United States Soda company. When they try to transit their product 7up into China, they got to know that the word 7up means “death through drinking” in Shanghai. So they had made an extra effort to prove it is not a bad product as it meant.
*When Parker pens launched in Spain it came up with a slogan as “It won’t leak in your pocket and embarrass you” but the translation came as “It won’t leak in your pocket and make you pregnant”.
*Mercedes Benz came to the Chinese market under the name of “Bensi” which the meaning expressed as “Rush to die”
- Some brand names are having a meaning but there are cases in which the meaning does not match with the industry you are engaged with.
- To avoid this kind of cases you must look into the described meaning of the brand name before purchasing.
Why do you make mistakes when branding?
If you have good knowledge about branding it will be very easy for you to choose a band name. Therefore the main reason is lack of knowledge. No knowledge about the process of selecting a brand name will spoil all your future plans.
So the first thing that we want to do is gain more knowledge about branding to avoid making mistakes.
Lack of knowledge
- You should always go with the trend and follow what’s new and things to consider when naming your company. The best example for this is that some people use to name their business including keywords but in 2002 google said that they will not give a chance to keywords anymore.
We have above discussed the harm of using keywords descriptively.
Not following the trends
- Almost everyone uses startup name generators to select a brand name. That is a very big mistake that you all make. Do not use startup name generators for naming because those generators will never provide a name in which you can stand out from others. The cons of using brand name generators are higher than the pros.
Choosing the correct domain extension
- Not considering the domain extension is also a huge mistake that you do when naming your business. Before finalizing your name make sure that a suitable domain extension is available for you.
Not getting the help of logo and slogan
- Many users still do not get the help of the logo and the slogan for their brand name. Always make sure to get the help of these two when naming your company.
- This is the part in which you can explain your product type, the thing that is not to be done with the brand name.
Simple tips that will help you to find the best brand name
- Brand Name qualities
There are main ten qualities we can define when we are taking a brand name. Considering those brand name qualities will help you to get an idea about which brand name you should choose. It will help you to skip making mistakes.
- Check the vocabulary score
When you are choosing a brand, always check the vocabulary score of it. Because the main thing we should consider while branding is to check whether it can be pronounced easily and memorize easily. If the vocabulary score is above 6 then you have got a good brand name in your hand and if it is above 8 you will have the greatest advantage of using a brand name.
As per the research was done by Brinso, paying more than $500 per Brand Name is useless. A real brand name can be defined with the memorization and pronounceable value of it. The length of it is not something we should consider anymore. Shortest with the character count 4,5 & 6 are the only recommended.
- Google – 6 Letters – vocabulary score 8.35
- Yahoo – 5 Letters – vocabulary score 8.78
- Microsoft -9 Letters – Vocabulary score 8.22
Look, all the popular brands have not considered the length of the brand but they have considered the vocabulary score.
Evaluate your brand name idea or the brand name you choose from a reselling site by using a free tool available.
Then only we can say that the “process” of brand naming is finished.
How does Brinso help you to avoid these mistakes?
Brinso scans every name suggestion carefully before finalizing it. Now you will not have to visit hundreds of websites and check millions of domains to choose the best.
- Brinso only presents super brand names(vocabulary score above 8)
- Brinso only put forward the brand names below $500
- Brinso lists out only the brand names which consist of all the brand name qualities.
- All the names in Brinso have a perfect meaning that is matching with the industry which they have been categorized to.
- Brinso provides the best tool for the evaluation process.
- The tool is completely a free service
- From the evaluation tool, you can get a full report on the pros and cons of your brand name.
List Of Companies Who Failed In Their Rebranding Attempts
Rebranding a company doesn’t mean that only changing the name of the company. It can be changing their names, logos, slogans, vision, strategy. In the process of rebranding, they lost millions of dollars. Here are a few companies who went for rebranding attempts and failed.
This famous and well-known luxury vehicle company entered into the Chinese market with the name of “Bensi”. They had no idea that in the Chinese language the brand name Bensi would represent the phrase “Rush To Die”.
When naming a product, companies make sure that it does not contain any negative connotation. Because you will not have enough capital to recover a mistake like this as the company Mercedes-Benz had.
- Radio Shack
Radio Shack is one of the well-known retailing companies in the world. In 2009 they rebranded their name into “The Shack”. With this rebranding, they lost nearly $200 million dollars as it failed.
- Coca -Cola
Coca -Cola rebranded the name of product Coca -Cola in 1985 with the name of “New Coke”. This change was not accepted by the previous Coke users and the company had to reverse the step they took forward within less than 3 months. It faced a nearly $35 million dollars loss due to this rebranding attempt.
And also when Coca-cola moved into the Chinese market the translation of it became “bite the wax tadpole” and they had to change it for an alternative phrase. This is also the best example of negative connotation.
- Royal Mail
The postal service Royal Mail rebranded their name into Consignia. The users were confused and the new name was difficult to remember and pronounce. So the company had to go back to the old name.
The company Colgate launched a toothpaste from the name of “Cue” targeting the French market but later they got to know that Cue is a French pornographic magazine name.
The company Ford launched a product named Pinto in Brazil. It did not become successful because in the term in Brazilian Portuguese Pinto means “tiny male genitals.”