Mistakes You Do When Buying A Brand Name
Choosing a brand name seems to be a very easy process but when you go through it you will understand its something beyond what we see from outside. So let’s look into the mistakes that you may do and how to avoid those kinds of mistakes.
01. Use A Brand Name Without Having .com Ownership
Another point you make a mistake is with the domain extension. The important point you should know is only the name which is having a .com extension can be distinguished as brand names. So without .com your brand name will lose its value and trust.
How to avoid ?
Always try to find a unique Brand name idea. What you need to be unique is having a .com extension. If you own the .com extension it means that you are unique out of others.
Don’t try to use a common word or word combinations for your brand name. Try to think out of the box.
Look into the best companies in the world almost everyone using the .com domain extension and they seems to be really unique with their name.
Unique name(no common words) with .com always make a perfect Brand Name.
Brinso has listed the Cheapest and highest vocabulary score brand names scanning almost all the brand/domain name selling and reselling websites.
Using domain extension can be changed under below listed out points.
- If you are starting up a non-profit organization you can use .org
- If you are starting up something related to education you can use .edu
- If you are starting up something targeting a specific region you can use the region domain extension. (But if you have an idea to expand your business in the future go for .com)
Ex-: United Kingdom-.uk, The United States -.us
Consider the above facts it will help you to avoid the mistake which you will do while choosing a domain extension and choose the best domain extension for your startup
02. Try to explain your business using the Brand Name
Including keywords in your brand name will make a big negative effect on your SEO process and it is one of the biggest mistakes you do. It is the biggest myth which we still believe.We invite you to research more about the effect of exact match domains for your SEO and business. Almost every big brand owners have rebranded their exact match domains to Branded Names.
How to avoid ?
- Do not ever try to explain your business through its Name. Always think something new and unique.You can use your logo or slogan to hint about ur business.
- Look into the world’s biggest SEO company. Previously they are known as SEOmoz but then they relaunched to MOZ. It’s because they understood the disadvantages of using a keyword in their Brand Name.
- Avoid using keywords to get rid of branding mistakes.
03. Choosing a Brand Name as similar to another popular Brand
Many users think that naming your brand name as similar to another popular brand will bring your business an advantage. According to surveys users don’t trust this kind of imitated brand names. Search engine always tries to correct these kinds of words.
How to avoid ?
Search your new brand name (or Brand name idea) using the Google search engine. Don’t use it if google shows very similar brand name as a suggestion.
You can Search Google images to get an idea about the existing brand name and logos.
Use knowem.com to check for the use of your brand, product, personal name or username instantly.
It will be a big mistake if your brand name has been already registered by somebody else and also in the future when you are going to register your business it will affect in a negative way.
Always try to come up with a unique name.
04. Using Special Characters
Some users think using special characters or numbers will make your brand unique and different that is a mistake we should avoid when branding. It may confuse the searcher and it will be hard for the searcher to find out your name and grab it in the first place.
How to avoid ?
- Use only English letters for your brand name.
- Use neither special characters nor numbers to your brand unless you are targeting the Chinese, Japanese or Koren markets.
05. Mismatch the Brand Name and Domain Name
Almost everyone trying to go for a different domain Name if the chosen Brand name is not available. That is not something should happen.
Ex- Think your company name is Marvel technologies. If you choose your brand name as Themarvel.com is not something sensible.
How to avoid ?
- Do not get a domain name which will mismatch for your brand name. If your brand name is already taken go for another brand name.
06. Express a negative meaning
When you are choosing a brand try to check if there is any negative meaning in it because it may lead to a huge problem in the future when you expand your business.Always think about the future of your company and make sure brand name will not affect it.
*The best example is the problem faced by the United States Soda company. When they try to transit their product 7up into China, they got to know that the word 7up means “death through drinking” in Shanghai. So they had made an extra effort to prove it is not a bad product as it meant.
*When Parker pens launched in Spain it came up with a slogan as “It won’t leak in your pocket and embarrass you” but the translation came as “It won’t leak in your pocket and make you pregnant”.
- Mercedes Benz came to the Chinese market under the name of “Bensi” which the meaning express as “Rush to die”
07. Use a brand Name with a History
Selecting a brand name with a History will impact your business in many ways and it will be a mistake you can not correct.
Think your company is in the field of Advertising but the brand name you choose used for a soap company earlier. Then definitely you have to make an extra effort and spent more to repromote your brand or else think the specific brand name is named as spam earlier then again you have to rebuild the trust among users.
How to avoid ?
- Always try to choose a brand name with a clear history. There are many websites available to choose the history of a brand name. So better consider more about it so that you will not make that mistake.
08. Taking naming as simple
Naming your startup / business it not as simple as most of you think.As brand name is an investment you do for your business you have to be more careful with naming. Many popular companies rebranded their name and spent millions of dollars to get a brandable brand name with all the brand name qualities.
How to avoid ?
Before naming your business/startup learn everything about it.Consider each and every point.Do not take naming as simple.If you choose the wrong one it will affect the future of your company.Look into the best brand name examples in the world and get an idea.
Why do you make mistakes when branding?
The main reason is lack of knowledge. If you have good knowledge about branding it will be very easy for you to choose a band name. Lack of knowledge in the process of selecting a brand name will spoil all your future plans. So the first thing what we want to do is gain more knowledge about branding to avoid making mistakes.
(lack of knowledge)
- You should always go with the trend and follow what’s new and things to consider when naming your company.The best example for this is that some people use to name their business including keywords but in 2002 google says that they will not give a chance to keywords anymore.
(Not following the trend )
- Not considering the domain extension also a huge mistake that you do when naming your business.Before finalizing with your name make sure that the suitable domain extension is available for you.
(choosing the correct domain extension)
- Many users still do not get the help of the logo and the slogan for their brand name.Always make sure to get the help of these two when naming your company.
(not getting the help of logo and slogan)
- Almost everyone using startup name generators to select a brand name.That is a very big mistake that you all do.Do not use startup name generators for naming because those generators will never provide a name which you can stand out from others.
Simple tips that will help you to find a best brand name
- Check the vocabulary score
The main thing we should consider while branding is to check whether can it be pronounced easily and memorize easily. So when you are choosing a brand always check the vocabulary score of it. If the vocabulary score is above 6 then you have got the best brand name in your hand.
- Brand Name qualities
There are main ten qualities we can define when we are taking a brand name. Considering those brand name qualities will help you to get an idea about which brand name you should choose. It will help you to skip making mistakes.
As per the research was done by Brinso, paying more than $500 per Brand Name is useless. A real brand name can be defined with the memorization and pronounceable value of it. The length of it is not something we should consider anymore.
- Google – 6 Letters – vocabulary score 8.35
- Yahoo – 5 Letters – vocabulary score 8.78
- Microsoft -9 Letters – Vocabulary score 8.22
All the popular brands have not considered the length of the brand but they have considered the vocabulary score.
- Should not stick with the categories
Choosing a brand name sticking into the category is not something necessary. Almost in every brand name selling sites, the same name will appear in many categories. So do not depend on the category of your business when you are selecting a brand name. A real brand name can suit any kind of business.
How does Brinso help you to avoid these mistakes ?
Brinso scans all the brand name selling sites and lists out the best in the crawler so that you will not have to visit hundreds of websites and check millions of domains to choose the best.
- Brinso only list out super brand names(vocabulary score above 8)
- Brinso list out only the brand names below $500
- Brinso lists out the brand name according to its buying worthiness.
- Brinso lists out only the brand names which consist all the brand name qualities.
- Brinso lists out a separate brand name list which manually reviews by brand name consultants considering the Psychology of Brand naming including Phonological loop effect and audio buffering.