What will be the best option if you miss your .com extension
We highly recommend you to use the exact match domain for your brand name, or you can find a brand name with .com domain extension with legal ownership.
However, If you have already chosen your brand name and missed your .com domain extension you can choose one of the recommended methods to authorize your brand with the highest advantage
Almost all the popular businesses are using exact match .com domain extension for their brand name.
- If your Brand Name is Apple your domain should be Apple.com.
- Someone may use Apple.net but they are not the real owners.
This is the best option that you can do if you miss your .com domain extension. You could have chosen the world’s best brand name but no one really cares about it if you do not have the .com domain extension with you.
People only care about the following points
- Are you the official brand owner
According to surveys, more than 95% of users think .com domain name ownership represents the brand owner. If you are using any other extension it may cause trust issues among your customers/clients.
- How easy to pronounce, remember & type your Brand Name
People really do not care about the length of a Brand name as far as it is Pronounceable and easy to remember.
Currently, there are many Brand Name reselling websites as well as Brand Name generators available, yet choosing a brand name that is easy to pronounce and type is pretty much hard. However, if the vocabulary score of your brand name is above 6 it’s a good brand name.
Brandroot, BrandBucket, Novanym are some of the popular brand name reselling sites. There are millions of brand names over there but you should be wise enough to choose the best with a high vocabulary score as well as for low price. You should consider the Brand Name qualities too.
Currently, Brinso is the only Brand Name Reselling site with the lowest price you can find in the market today.
Pros of Rebranding
- It will attract new customers
- It will increase your engagement
- It will help you to achieve new goals
Cons of Rebranding
- It will confuse people and may cause truth issues
- You may lose a few customers
02. Using any other domain extension
Another option you can do is using any other domain extension except .com.The domain extension you choose will depend according to the nature of your business.
- If you are an internet service provider you can use .net instead of .com
- If you are running a non-profit organization .org will be a perfect match
- If you are targeting a local area you can use the country extension
- If you are targeting something related to education you can go for .edu
But Brinso does not recommend these options if you are planning a serious business. Most people think using .net will help you to replace .com but that is wrong. .net is being rejected by many people. Studying more about .com and .net will give you clarification and an idea about what is best among these two.
According to seoclerk If there is an option to choose which domain extension is good among .net and .com definitely it is .com.
.net was introduced nearly two months before .com but still .com is the king of all the domain extensions. You can learn more about .net from Wikipedia.
03. Use an extra word with your Brand Name
Another option you can do is to use an extra word with your brand name and go for the .com extension with the extra word + brand name. This extra word could be a generic word or a keyword you are targeting.
- If google.com is not available you can go with gogoogle.com
- If facebook.com is not available you can go with thefacebook.com
But Brinso does not recommend using extra words. No matter if it’s a generic word or a keyword.
One of the best examples for generic word + brand name combination has happened with Facebook. The previous name of Facebook was thefacebook.com but they rebranded their name to facebook.com
Also, the previous name of the SEO giant Moz was seomoz.com as they’ve included their keyword SEO to the brand name.
But later they rebranded their name to Moz.com because google does not recommend using keywords to the brand name.
Another reason why we do not recommend this action is that it makes a sound of imitation. Imitation goes under the violation of 10 brand name qualities. So in a way, this is something search engine unhealthy.
04. Use Numbers or any other special Characters
You can use numbers or any other special characters with your Brand Name. It will help you to get the .com domain extension. It is the plus point here and the minus point is with the making brand popular in usage.
This is also not recommended.
But if you are targeting Chinese or Japanese market you can use special characters
- (Lùyì Wēidēng) — Louis Vuitton
- (Gǔqí) — Gucci
- (Ādídásī) — Adidas
- (Jīnggōng) — Seiko
Pros of Rebranding with a special character/number
- It will help you to get .com domain extension if you missed it with your Brand Name
- It may avoid the "slurl" issue.
Cons of using special characters/numbers
- It is an extra character to your brand name.
- It will be difficult to keep remembering as almost everyone is using Brand Names without special characters.
- Advertise problems may occur in the medium of radio and word of mouth.
- Do not have any reselling value compared to others.
You can learn more regarding using a hyphen with your brand name.
06. Use synonyms for your brand name
You can use a synonym word for your chosen brand name. You may get a wide range of options.
- If your chosen Brand Name is myriad.com you can use one of the following synonyms.multitude, mass, throng, host, droves, horde, oodles, hundreds, thousands, millions, billions, zillions, gazillions, bazillions, gobs
Here in this case also using keywords or words which are similar to any other popular brand is strictly not recommended and we have to care much about the vocabulary score too.
07. If you have more than one word in your Brand Name try to rearrange the order.
You can use this option only if your Brand Name contains more than a word. You can rearrange the order of your brand name.
- If your Brand name is Googlepro and if you did not be able to get .com for it you can try Progoogle instead of Googlepro.
But we do not recommend using more than one word as your brand name. Look at the most popular brands in the world. Each and everyone using a single word as their Brand Name and also many Popular companies who used more than one word changed their Brand Name into a single word Brand Name.
- BackRub turned into Google
- Jerry and David’s Guide to the World Wide Web turned into Yahoo
- Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo turned into Sony
08. Use alternative Language for your Brand Name
You can use alternative language for the brand name you chose. It is not a perfect idea you may not like the suggestions but surely you can get some new Brand Name ideas.
- If your chosen Brand name is Music.com and if it is not available you can use gaana(which means music in Hindi).
But using keywords for your brand name is not recommended.
What can you do if you need the exact brand name and .com extension alone with it?
You have the following options.
- Use of Acquisition Service providers.
You can look into a site like namekart.com that provides this service and explains your desire. They will handle the process after making the contact with the present owner of the name and make a transfer of the ownership if the current owner agrees.
They will charge a service fee for this.
But still, a brand name with history is against the brand name qualities.SEO advice is not to purchase such.
- Direct contact with the owner on your own.
If you can handle and do the discussions of purchase on your own then you can refer to a site like Whois and find the owner and related details. Then have your own way of purchasing directly.
An additional fee for a service provider is not expended here but in case if you are new to the field this can’t be recommended because you may end up with a higher price or maybe deceit.
Some don’t pay attention to the expiry date of their brand name once they purchase it. Sometimes if a person stays for such a chance to own it you will lose your legal ownership unless you do not take the immediate steps to renew it just as it expires.
There are incidents which the famous companies met with such issues.
So don’t forget to renew too, once you purchase your .com extension!