.com Vs .net: Which Is The Best?
Opening a business website is a big step for both who are upgrading the physical business to a business space and online entrepreneurs. In this process, the first and the important factor to consider is the domain extension you select to create the domain name. The domain extension (TLD) is the key to all your business goals. Market researchers have found that most of the businessmen and entrepreneurs are interested in using .com and .net in for their domain name. Being the oldest domain extensions these both have a higher registration amount than others. The domain extension is also important, same as a brand name for the memorization, identity, and ranking factor.
Being the oldest domain extensions in the world, .com and .net domains share their credibility and trust among different fields or industries. Before proceeding with your selected brand name, it’s always good to get knowledge about what domain extension will serve your intentions best.
As per the information .net had been introduced to the world before .com
- .net has been introduced in 01/01/1985
- .com has been introduced in 15/03/1985
You are free to use any domain extension you want but choosing the right domain extension based on your business is very important.
The registration amount of .com domain extensions is nearly 145 million. The registration amount of .net domain extensions is only 13 million.
Even if you had the idea of the difference between .com and .net, this is an irreversible critical investment where you’ve to decide the best option available for you. Currently, most of the users choose the .net domain extension if they missed their .com domain extension. That’s not a good option to do. There are more options to do if you missed your .com domain extension.
Consider These Factors Before Deciding A Suitable Domain Extension...
The purpose of your website – Before selecting a domain name, this is the first thing you should consider, the purpose of your website. Do you sell products or services on your website, or do you upload articles, information, news or do you maintain a website for a charity for an organization…clarify the purpose of your website to decide the most suitable domain extension for your brand name.
Is your brand name common? – Whether your brand name is too common or whether your brand name includes any keywords or whether your brand name includes any dictionary words, is also matter when selecting a domain extension. Almost all the dictionary words and keywords are registered with .com domain extension and on the other hand google deprioritized domain names with keywords. So if your brand name is too common, you probably have to move to another domain extension. And if your brand name is unique, the availability of getting a .com domain name is higher.
Which domain name is more memorable? – this fact is also very important in selecting a domain extension. Do you know that most of the internet users assume a web address ends up with a .com domain extension than any other domain extension? Even some mobile devices come with a .com button on the keyboard as it is so popular and its high usability. So if you want to be memorized, select the most popular domain extension.
If it is easy to type – This is very important when it comes to selecting a domain name to your business or website. When your customer types your domain name, it needs to be very simple and easy to type because it is the key to take your customer to your website. If it is very confusing, your customer will probably end up on another website. If this happens several times, they won’t trust your business. So be careful and mindful to select a typeable/easy domain name for your business.
When You should use .com and .net domain extension
.com domain extension is used for all the profit-generating web sites.Almost 95% of companies using exact match .com domain extension for them.Currently some of the non profit organizations also used .com domain extension as it comes with trust and credibility.
Here are some non-profit organizations and blogs using .com domain extension,
- National Geographic
.com domain extension is considered to be the king of all extensions due to its trustworthiness and authorization it has gained throughout history. When someone first hears your brand name and wants to know more about your business, [your brand name].com will be the first place they’ll be searching. .com domain is that powerful and valuable in this internet era.
Benefits of using .com
- .com is introduced for commercial purpose websites.
- .com is the most popular TLD in the world (47% of global websites use the .com domain extension).
- .com has the highest recall value among people.
- As .com is the king of all the domain extensions, sites without .com have less trustworthiness.
- It has become the default extension among people. Everyone will type .com at the end of your business name even if they don’t know what your domain extension is.
- .com domain extension has a bigger resale value than others.
- .com gives your business a highly professional look.
- Having .com shows that you’re a well-established company.
- Provides you worldwide access.
- It encourages reputable companies to link to your site.
- .Com guarantees your site to be found on the web.
- The fact you’re even reading this proves.COM is King.
It gives your websites a small impact on ranking (SEO)
Drawbacks of using .com
- Higher prices compared to other domain extensions.
- Less availability
- Will not suit some non-profit organizations as it’ll look like a profit-oriented business.
- If English isn’t your primary language, or if you don’t speak a language that uses the Latin alphabet, .com may be difficult to type, or you may be unable to register a domain name in your first or target language.
.net is used for networking, hosting, internet or sites similar to these fields. Only in some cases, we can use .net behalf of .com.Unlike the universally (in most cases, of course,) accepted .com domains, .net has some limitations. You may have to carefully consider those if you’re planning to use .net as your primary domain extension for your brand name. As most web service companies used .net as their domain, it has an undeniable bond with .net domains.
Benefits of using .net,
- Price is less than .com
- Availability compared to .com is higher
- Second most popular TLD
- Less competitive domain names than .com
- Professional and trusted by many
- Acceptable for businesses (in any industry) that are unable to obtain a professional .com URL.
Drawbacks of using .net,
- Less trustworthy when compared to .com
- Resale value is less
- Could be an issue when expanding a business
- May still have technology connotations that influence how people view your business.
- Although it isn’t as well-known as a .com domain, it is still competitive, so expect limited availability.
Will this Impact a Business or a Startup?
Yes, Indeed. When we’re building a new business we’ve to gain the use’s trust. With .com it comes automatically and it brings the professional look for your business as other reputed companies.
Take a look at the most popular companies in the world,
Each and every reputed company in the world using .com as their domain extension.
What is the difference between .com and .net?
The most evident difference between a .net and a .com name is that they were designed for “network” and “commercial” websites. You should get a .net domain if your purpose is to provide internet-based services or networking platforms, such as starting a forum. If you want to generate money online, whether through a personal blog or an eCommerce site, you need to have a .com domain name.
Conclusion on .com or .net
Yes, It should be .com. With the review, we made almost in all the sites the register number of .com each day keeps increasing and also the price. With the benefits that .com has, we highly recommend you to use .com for your business and also we recommend .com for worldwide business even its web-based.