Using .org with your Brand name instead .com
.com, .org and .net are the oldest domain extensions in the world. Using the correct domain extension is important same as choosing your brand name. Using different domain extension for your brand name will differentiate your website. Usually .com domain extension is used by profit-generating websites/business while .org is used by non-profit generating websites/business. Choosing the right domain extension adds your company/website its own identification.
.org was introduced on 1st of January 1985 as a consideration for non profit organizations.There is no any restriction on who can use them.Anyone can use them according to their needs but currently almost everyone thinks that only non-profit organizations use .org.
.com was introduced in 1st of January 1985.Currently this is the king out of all the domain extensions.According to research it is the most trustable,memorable and registered domain extension in the world..Com is mainly used by profit generating companies and even others also use .com because of the popularity and trust people have on it.
Difference between .org and .com
|Used for commercial sites||Used for non-profit generating organizations|
|More memorable and more user friendly||Less user friendly than .com|
|Less availability||More availability|
|More popular among users||Less popular comparing to .com|
|Price may high||Less price than .com|
Registered amount till now
- .ORG – 10 million
- .COM – 137 million
Out of .com and .org what is the most suitable domain extension for you?
.org domain extension is only recommended for non profit organizations because almost all the non-profit organizations and also some informational blogs and sites are using .org as their domain extension.Don’t use .org domain extension unless you are running a non-profit organization or open-source software like freeware which is fully free.
Psychologically users always expect that a non-profit organization will have .org as their domain extension. Users may have a trust issue if you are using some other domain extensions except .org.
Here are a few popular non-profit organizations using .org domain extension.
- American Red Cross – redcross.org
- Habitat for Humanity – habitat.org
- Planned Parenthood – plannedparenthood.org
- The Nature Conservancy – nature.org
- The World Wide Fund for Nature – worldwildlife.org
- United Way of America – unitedway.org
Here are some worst .org used non-profit organizations as per smartasset.
- 1. Kids Wish Network
- 2. Cancer Fund of America
- 3. Children’s Wish Foundation International
- 4. American Breast Cancer Foundation
- 5. Firefighters Charitable Foundation
- 6. Breast Cancer Relief Foundation
- 7. International Union of Police Associations, AFL-CIO
- 8. National Veterans Service Fund
- 9. American Association of State Troopers
- 10. Children’s Cancer Fund of America
Pros of using .org
- .org holds the credit for non-profit organizations.
- It is available compared to other domain extensions.
- The price of .org is less when comparing to .com.
Cons of using .org
- Highly it is only recommended for non-profit organizations.
The best domain extension for profit-generating business is .com. .com is the most trustable and memorable domain extension in the world.it is the most popular domain extension for any kind of business, it’s a clause.Almost all the businesses are using the .com domain extension for their official website.
You have to keep in mind that .org is not an alternative solution for .com.
It is not a good idea to register a .org domain extension for your company, startup or anything if your .com domain is already registered by somebody else.
So what can you do if your selected .com has already been registered,
Out of all the options you have, one of the best options you can do is to go for another domain extension.
The second best domain extension in the world is .net but the compatibility depends on what type of business you’re in. Learn more about which is the best out of .com and .net.
And also you can rebrand your name and get .com available brand name with all the brand name qualities.
Look at the most popular brands in the world. Each and everyone is using .com as their domain extension.
- Google – google.com
- Facebook – facebook.com
- Amazon – Amazon.com
- eBay – ebay.com
- Instagram – instagram.com
- Tesla – Tesla.com
Pros of choosing .com
- .com is the king out of all the other domain extensions.
- Trustworthiness is high among people
- Recall value is high.
- It has become the default extension among people.
- It has a good resale value.
- .com gives your business a professional look.
- It gives a small impact on SEO ranking.
Cons of choosing .com
- The price of .com domains are high compared to other domain extensions
- Finding a .com extension available with a good brand name could be difficult.
Can Non-profit generating organizations use .com?
Yes, you are free to use .com domain extension for non-profit organizations too. Currently, there are few non-profit organizations using .com as their domain extension.
National Geographic – www.nationalgeographic.com
TED – www.ted.com/
And also if you’re selling something to bring donation for your non-profit organization you can use both .com and .org domain extensions.You can redirect your .com site to .org and get the traffic on.
Pros of using .com for non-profit organizations
- Attract more visitors/traffic
Cons of using .com for non-profit organizations
- The domain extension suitable for a non-profit organization is .org.
Can you Use both .com and .org
You can use both .com and .org domain extensions based on what you really do.
Even Google runs a non-profit organization apart from what they really do.
Google.com vs Google.org
Google.com is the most used search engine worldwide which launched in 1977.
Google.org is the charitable part of Google. They support racial justice, educational opportunity, crisis response after health epidemics and natural disasters, and issues affecting the San Francisco Bay Area community where it’s headquartered. It also hosts regular challenges around the world to stimulate innovative uses of technologies to address local challenges.
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
In simple it does everything for you from downloading software to managing the web server.
This is free software, where you can download the software and manage the server on your own.
As per the research done by Brinso .org is only recommended for non-profit generating organizations as well as informational blogs or sites but .com can be used for the above-mentioned organizations and blogs too if you feel you want to grab more visitors. .com can be used for any kind of business either profit-generating or non-profit generating organizations.